How to use Google Play's Parental Controls to Protect Kids from Unsuitable Stuff?
There are many apps, games, movies and music that you can download using Google Play Store. But not all of them are safe for children. Google Play's Parental Controls helps prevent your kids from accessing mature content.
Note: Parental controls do not restrict access to content downloaded prior to setting up the controls. It prevents installing new content.
- Open Google Play app
- Click the hamburger icon to open the sliding menu
- Tap Settings
- Tap Parental controls
- Switch ON Parental controls
- You will be asked to create a PIN. Enter a number and click OK. Remember this number. You will need this to make any changes in the future.
- Enter the PIN again to confirm.
- Tap 'Apps and Games' after enabling Parental Controls
- Select the maturity level that you want your kids to access.
- Tap Save.
- Tap 'Movies'
- Select the maturity level of the movies that you want to restrict access.
- Tap 'Music'
- Tick this box if you want to restrict music marked as explicit by content providers.
3. Forgot Parental Control PIN
The only way out is to clear Google Play's app data and create a new PIN.
Note: Clearing app data resets all Google Play settings to their default values including Parental controls. Make a note of the current settings so that you can recreate them later.
- Open Android Settings (not Google Play settings)
- Go to Apps>>Google Play Store
- Long Press 'Storage' and release
- On this screen, clear data and clear cache.